Monday, March 21, 2016

A Palm Sunday Spring

Primrose on side of garage

Spring always comes on schedule, but Palm Sunday and Easter are quite variable--if you hadn't noticed--and happen to be quite early this year.

Spring dawned with freezing temps, tempered by full sunshine yesterday. A few crocus and primula have made their appearance in my yard, but things are pretty much still  bleak-late-winter here in West Michigan.

M & S flew in for the weekend to visit friends (and us, I hope) and M and I made a big spiral ham, potatoes, roasted asparagus, an angel food cake with fresh strawberries and Reddi Wip dinner Sunday, for 9.

We purchased Costco mashed potatoes, made them into "party potatoes" ala Eet Smakelijk, warming them in a crock pot, all ready to scoop out at serving time. A spiral sliced ham under foil was popped into the oven before church. Roasted asparagus and then rolls warmed in the oven while the ham "rested".

Oh--and a red leaf lettuce salad with a sweet and salty vinaigrette that involved some last minute prep was delicious, with fresh strawberries, honey roasted pecans, dried cranberries and goat cheese.

Oh--and a bottle of red wine--and a bottle of Welch's Sparking White Grape for the under-aged.

A seemingly simple spring/Easter menu--but after serving, cleaning up and loading one load into the dishwasher I collapsed in a heap on the couch for a long sleep.

Everything was tasty, but maybe not so bloggably photogenic--I was actually too preoccupied to snap any photos, for once! The husband rated the meal a 8.7 out of 10. I guess he prefers a roast beef and gravy Sunday dinner. Maybe that would rate a 9...

A meal or two of leftover ham and mashed potatoes, a few dinner rolls, and we will be getting back to the Spring Diet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment