Wednesday, October 19, 2016

October - Fall Fun, Food ... and Failure

My very first "pumpkin" tower!
A friend asked me recently if I'd stopped blogging. We read each other's blogs if and when no one else does and she noticed I had been MIA for a few weeks.

I have been here and doing fine, even throwing up a pic or two on Instagram and Facebook, but lately I haven't had the energy (I try to never say the time, because there is always a spare moment for the things one really wants to do) to sit down in front of my laptop and think about what I might include in a post.

Sure, an unexpected funeral took up some time one day--I helped with the flowers for the luncheon and sang in the choir and stayed, chatting through lunch. That sapped my energy for the day!

Also, fun things came up--like picking out cucurbits from Countryside Greenhouse, at 5 for $20. And creating a perfect stack (above) for my deck. I have always wanted to do this and the price seemed right!

Pumpkin Patch at Countryside Greenhouse

And, we had to check out the grand prize winner on the final afternoon of Art Prize on October 9th.

The carved wooden war dogs with injuries captured the hearts and votes of the public.

And, we relaxed with food and beer after viewing 150+ entries, sampling this year's Art Prize brewed entry by Grand Rapids Brewing, the Ursa Project--a mix of a hearty stout and a fruity blueberry that tasted amazingly good.

But, in between all the fun and fall work and funerals, I probably have spent too much time collapsed on the couch at night with my toes tucked under a blanket, instead of washing or cleaning or getting my life together.

Then, there is this crazy presidential election campaign, which has been stressful and draining. Which I won't talk about today!

And, my WWF buddies are waiting for my next great word.

And, it has often been dark and rainy lately, with sunlight diminishing day by day. Which robs me of a little more energy.

(But it has been great time of year for growing new grass, seeded in the areas damaged from tree limbs falling, the tracks from the tree removal trucks and the long hot summer.)

Also, a note to one of my daughters: I ventured up on the roof to blow off all the debris, using my hand-held gas blower. I stayed far away from the edge of the roof and felt very safe up there! The husband held the ladder steady and handed me the blower. I see no reason to hire this out. Yet.

And even though I am losing enthusiasm for gardening and other fall tasks, and even though my energy level has been lagging and sagging, I am feeling  a little like a squirrel must in the fall: so many nuts to bury! Cold air signals that winter will be here soon and a survival instinct informs that time is short and one must get ready for winter before the snowflakes start blowing!

A tiny bit of panic sets in...

And ooooh, the hunger...

(I often fatten up like a squirrel in the fall, too!)

So, with cooler weather and so much new fall produce available--those delicious Honey Crisp apples, Bartlett pears, Michigan grown butternut squash, cute brussel sprouts, and so much more--yes, my thoughts have focused more (if that is possible) on food, even if I am not storing it for winter or burying it in the backyard--which, thankfully, is no longer necessary!

I picked out a beautiful eggplant at the farmer's market this week. But now I have to make eggplant Parmesan or lasagna or something! Yes, my thoughts have turned to food--warm and comforting food, soup, and something in the oven! I have actually cooked real dinners a few times.

Last night we had spaghetti squash with a hamburger/tomato sauce that included freshly picked golden zucchini from my garden, grated portabella mushrooms, fresh spinach and garlic. And of course, generous amounts of freshly grated parm.

After the farmer's market yesterday E. and I stopped at a specialty cheese shop. The cheese of the month is Prairie Breeze--a cheddar from grass-fed, hand-milked Amish Iowa cows that is reminiscent of my favorite Parmesan. Soooo good.

Then, a rare early morning breakfast out with friends provided more goodness. O's entree was the cutest! Talk about breakfast in a bowl!!

O. did not eat the pie-crust bowl at Marie Catrib's.

Fall does bring many good things!

Gorgeous foliage. Pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice lattes. Apple cider.

The ubiquitous mums always add a predictably bright note to the fall landscape.

Other perennials grow all year, waiting to add a punctuating mark to the season. One such patch of October beauty can be found at Uncle J's house:

Japanese Anemone nodding in the late afternoon sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment