Since it is now cold mid-winter and since I have been mostly home of late, and more recently, home alone, I have taken a vacation from many of the demands life (and marriage) often imposes. I have spent more time horizontal on the couch, more time watching television (no conflict of interest with the remote), and a little more time reading--breaking it up now and then with a sewing, cleaning or sorting project. Laundry is caught up and I tend to wear the same warm things day after day. Eating is simple, microwaved, piecemeal--an apple here, an avocado there, some nuts to munch, some berries and yogurt, with a frozen microwaved dinner or a sweet potato for dinner.
I already mentioned that I have been following the January Series lectures. The best one so far was David Brooks. I found it to be a near perfect lecture and wish it could have been archived. Because it was not to be saved, they video streamed this one, so that could be why I enjoyed it more.
He referenced a knowledge of the Calvin community, joking that he would have to "up his game" and be careful when referencing theological terms such as grace and redemption. He talked about love and joy, of meeting the dalai lama and reading C.S. Lewis. He said the old meaning of eros was a longing to be good, not a reference to sexual love. He talked about his desire to be worthy of the grace and blessings he has in his life. He talked of the book of Matthew and the story of Naomi and Ruth. He quoted Ruskin--which I tried to write down and then could not find when I googled quotes of Ruskin--which are legion.
When he was asked about needing to write the book in order to save his soul, he laughed. Apparently he is still a work in progress, as one would hope. He then quipped that "buying the book gets you there."
He said one of the hardest challenges for The Road to Character was finding a model author to include in the book, since authors tend to be so narcissistic!
Anyway, if authors don't make good models of character, I thought that Brooks delivered a good model lecture. I was totally absorbed for the hour.
I do hope that he has come to a saving faith--one which moves him beyond his Old Testament Jewish heritage.
Monday, because it was MLK Day, a black preacher/lecturer gave his thoughts on reaching out successfully to different cultures and forming successful multicultural communities. I didn't take notes but remember two things about the lecture/sermon--his advice to "bring who you are to the table" (whatever that means) and how music is a useful tool in promoting diversity in worship.
Either he was short on breath (could not see him) or he uses a breathy choppy style for effect, but it seemed he took an audible breath between each word! I was worried he would not make it.
Another speaker with a name I had heard of was Ron Suskind. He gave a remarkable account of how they were able to break through to their autistic son, Owen, through Disney characters. His book is Life, Animated.
Tuesday was a had to be there event--an earth harp strung across the auditorium to the balcony, the idea being that you are inside of the instrument. I listened from home, but found it all a little too new-agey for my tastes, although it included a nice rendition of Hallelujah and a recognizable Joyful, Joyful.
.
William Close claimed scientists have determined the earth itself vibrates on a "D" pitch. I found that interesting.
If you are curious about the "Earth Harp Collective" sound, google William Close "Blood of Eden" for a performance they gave in NYC on 9-11-14. Maybe I didn't miss much by not being there...
A foodie friends night out also got me up from my warm couch potato status on a snowy evening. Monday night we we were going to try a breaded and fried dill pickle stuffed with brie. I thought, Reuben sandwiches would pair nicely, so I bought all the stuff for about 4 sandwiches. The pickles were an "epic fail" in O's words, but the Reubens along with a choice of adult beverages satisfied fully. The pickles landed in the trash.
![]() |
| Marbled rye, Boar's Head corned beef, swiss cheese and sauerkraut, Litehouse Thousand Island dressing and Land O'Lakes butter, with extra dressing for dipping. |

I love the homemade Reuben!
ReplyDelete