Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Change and Decay

Amid the sameness of my summertime activities (and with a certain amount of boredom setting in), each day does still seem to bring something new--some good and some not.

 I now have a new smooth and perfect tooth. Here is a photo of it just before it was glued into my upper jaw, where no one will ever see it. Yes, I take photos of everything! They emailed me the before photo of my tooth at my request, but I will spare you that sight.

A new "porcelain" crown ... but no halo!

I got another call from Michigan Blood. I have been putting them off because I need all my energy every day. But--they said a promotional t-shirt and coupons for juice were being offered, so one morning last week I drank so much water I thought I would float away and made an 11:15 appointment. The facility was at capacity, but things moved along quickly and I was able to make a successful donation in about an hour and a half. I received a very soft, lightweight t-shirt. My iron level was at 41. It drops 2 or 3 points with a donation, so I may wait a little longer to donate next time, as I am now at a perfect low normal, according to me. I do not eat iron-rich foods or take a vitamin with iron just so that I can donate more often.

But on the way home I ate some salty (recommended) barbecue chips that were in my gift bag. One chip seemed a little extra crunchy and I later discovered that yet another upper back molar had completely fallen apart and will most certainly require a crown. The mercury-filled fillings of my country-girl, un-floridated molars are finally falling apart.

Anyway, when I returned home I ate a salty deli chicken leg, collapsed on the couch and promptly fell asleep. Donating blood sometimes wipes me out for a day or so.

We were trying to get all our dental work completed in June, since we are on Medicare now as well as new insurance as of July 1, 2016, and are not yet aware of the details of the dental coverage. In fact, we finally got signed up for the correct insurance just days before the July deadline.

In summary, I have recently acquired a crown, lost a tooth, relinquished a pint of blood and signed up for Medicare Part B, the latter being a rather significant life event. I am once again reminded that I am no longer a spring chicken!

And my phone died and wouldn't turn on, scaring me--suddenly cut off from the world. But a battery reboot fixed it and it works fine now. Whew!

I now have exactly 12 plants left in a flat at the church gardens and those are promised to the pastor. They are still doing well but really need a permanent home soon. The gardens at church, in spite of a mysterious sabotaged sprinkler valve shut-off and beastly hot days, due to my watering diligence, are thriving. The yellow Asiatic lilies are in their full glory, the phlox, Oriental lilies and daylilies are starting to bloom, and the annuals are filling in all the empty spaces with glorious color. The Endless Summer hydrangeas are simply amazing this year.

Petunias, geraniums, alyssum, New Guinea impatiens, pansies and lantana as well as perennial lilies, a mum and roses--all in view here.
My friends are back in town and are good for impromptu excursions--like the fireworks show over Reeds Lake on Monday night at 10:15. And a Sunday night bottle of red wine on Houlihan's deck. Also a Saturday morning trip to the farmer's market for a cup of pour-over coffee.

We had a picnic dinner under the pergola Saturday night of brats, corn, chips, lettuce salad, fruit salad and cheesecake with fresh rhubarb sauce with Dirk, the Dutch Bavinck scholar at A and O's house.

And the husband and I enjoyed charcoal-grilled burgers with local fresh tomatoes on Monday night, July 4th.

Life has been mostly good.

I do wish the days were not so bloomin' hot, that it would rain occasionally, and that I had more energy to get things done. Will I ever get that basement cleaned, or apply any fresh paint or wallpaper--or even just vacuum and dust?? Maybe in the fall ... but I am already planning a trip to San Francisco, northern Michigan, NYC and Florida in the fall. That sounds like way more fun than working on the house!

A Florida daughter texted me today that it was at a heat index of 107 degrees where she was. It reminded me that one can always find someone in a worse situation when you feel like complaining--sometimes even a family member!

No comments:

Post a Comment