![]() |
| Fireworks reflected on Reeds Lake |
![]() |
| Burgers and Beer |
And at the last minute, O. and I decided to attend the second fireworks display in the area. We sat on a beach towel on a dock floating in the water--which provided a great view, if slightly blurred photos!
Also, I decided to watch a taped C-span program from Flag Day, June 14, of Eric Metaxas, talking about his latest book, If You Can Keep It. He talked about the struggle the founding fathers had in creating this new Republic, and how it was really something of a miracle that it actually happened. The title of the book comes from what Benjamin Franklin reportedly said to a woman when she asked him if they had actually created the Republic, right after the Constitutional Convention concluded. Someone heard him use that phrase and recorded it in a personal diary. Yes. If You Can Keep It.
I sometimes think we are quickly losing that battle--of holding on to the constitutional principles on which this country was founded. I will probably be dead before we become like any other country in Europe, or worse, but it still trouble me. The formation of the United States was a unique experiment, like none other in the history of the world. Its continued success is dependent on good, virtuous, people of faith who struggle to maintain the freedoms that are only possible when there is more good than evil in an informed electorate and in the representatives they elect.
These are my thoughts about the day. Sadly, I am but one, small, powerless voice. And I am not sure if my vote has ever really counted...
![]() |
| Surprise landing on our deck! |



No comments:
Post a Comment