Sunday, July 10, 2016

White Like Me

Sometimes the world seems to be spinning on a fast track to somewhere you ride to in a hand basket. It has been another week filled with news of inequality, racial tension, dead cops and white privilege--including Hillary, skating on the FBI private email server investigation. Now, Hillary enjoys a whole other level of privilege.

If we look beyond the United States we hear of starving refugees and Isis suicide bombers and beheadings. And even people being murdered while waiting in line at the store for toothpaste in Venezuela.

And my life of white privilege this past week? Celebrating with fireworks (blowing up expensive things, safely, and just for the fun of it!), singing the national anthem at the ball park with my choir--enjoying beer and brats and conversation with 60 other church friends. And scouting out yet another gourmet coffee shop in town. Plus--eating out, eating ice cream and retreating to my cool home at the end of every hot day.

What was unusual this week was that we went to a cars and coffee event. The cars were shiny and immaculate. Picking out our favorite color was the highlight!

And the coffee (photo on coffee post) was enjoyed outside in the breeze, by a waterfall.

Back in the day, with two car-obsessed older brothers in the family, I probably knew every model of car on the road. Looking for cars, not letters of the alphabet was our road trip fun.

Now, I barely remember the model name of the car I drive. Going to a small car show at the Downtown Market with O. and J. found me totally lacking in car identification skills. I would be an embarrassment to my gear-head brothers.

What the heck is a NOBLE?

Very pretty color!
I have no idea what I'm looking at here.
I think I've heard of this one.
Fun!
Ready to rumble!

No comments:

Post a Comment