Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Christmas Highs and Lows

Christmas is over ... did you save some Christmas cheer? If food is cheer, there was an abundance of that leftover here! (The daughter that was in town cooked BIG).

But I'm not sure the cheer lasted for even a day, let alone the whole year through.

I couldn't think of a reason to venture out yesterday. I cleaned up all the dishes and the boxes, read some in the book club book and vegged. All of a sudden, it's over. Too soon. Why do we not celebrate 12 days of Christmas? All the hype, the food, the Amazon boxes flying here and there and the Christmas songs ... and then we move on to the next thing ... before I have even heard all my favorite carols. Whatever few extra items put out--like a decorative kitchen towel (really, why?) already seem dumb. Two more big parties are coming up and there are things to do. An oil change and a carpet to clean. Discussion questions to formulate for leading the book club discussion.

My hope is to plan more time for cheer next year! What would Christmas be like on a cruise ship, I wonder?

The (sort of) ugly Christmas sweater can be washed and put away ... until next year.

But I received a (sort of ugly) Christmas sweatshirt (all in good humor) on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure where I could wear it and not risk being mocked or beat up, but now that Christmas is over (and the Trump Michigan thank you rally), it really seems inappropriate ... even for next year!

Maybe I will just annoy the book club (a few serious anti-Trumpers in the group) by wearing it! It is washed and Downy-ed. They will have to be nice about it in my own home!



We reached a record-setting 53 degrees here yesterday. With an average 7-inch snow cover (easily a White Christmas), there would be no golfing in December this year, but I regret not finding an outdoor activity for enjoying the briefly balmy winter weather.

One gift turned my thoughts to warmer weather. Growing tomatoes last summer took quite an effort and some of the tomatoes didn't taste as amazing as I had hoped, after patiently watching them develop. I received some new inspiration from E ... for next year!



If and when I spend a lot of time in the hot and dirty garden, I am always challenged to stay hydrated. The girls keep encouraging me to drink more, buying me pretty water bottles. The bottle below, gifted by M, is far too classy for sweaty afternoons in the garden. Perhaps I can use it on the cruises and trips of retirement! One very special trip was promised for Thanksgiving time. Next year...


I spotted this S'well bottle when I was in NYC at the MoMA gift shop, rendered in a teak wood look (meant for me?) but I thought it too pricey for my purposes. I guess that is what Christmas is for--receiving something that you could buy, but just wouldn't be inclined to get for yourself.

I always seem to end the year in trailing dots...

Cheers!

Until next year...

1 comment:

  1. How egalitarian of you to mention a gift from each of us ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete