Saturday, December 10, 2016

More Snow!

Pristine white snow on  my deck rail today.
I tried some months ago to wax eloquent on rain. Snow has a similar way of eliciting thoughts that might inspire a poem if one were so inclined. New snow, especially, is photo-worthy and adjective-worthy. We have few alternative words for snow, but snow demands adjectives!

Snow comes down from the heavens white--and white has a world of symbolism.

From the Old Testament, for example: "though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." (Isaiah 1:18) Red sins, washed in blood, become as white as snow. Such graphic imagery!

Pristine is a good descriptor for snow, I think. Fresh. Fluffy. Frosty (as in the Snowman). Glistening. Pure. White (as in Snow White).

 Less nice adjectives: Slushy. Sticky. Slippery. Salted. More s-words verbs come to mind for the things we do: ski, sled, skate, snowmobile and shovel. I know, these words are also nouns.

Do you love freshly fallen snow? Do you hate the cold and the difficult driving that is associated with snow?

I save photos of snow scenery on a Pinterest board. It's called Snowboard!

Do you have a favorite snow poem?

Can you think of a good descriptive word that I have missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment