Saturday, April 16, 2016

Sunny Saturday Daffodils

Nodding daffs have survived the April snows. Notice the ducks enjoying the day.

After a hard day of bagging and raking debris from the back of our rental house (with the help of 4 neighbors!!), and after taking one load to the yard waste site, I went to Uncle J's to pick a bouquet of daffodils for myself. Standing alone and quiet in the middle of the fragrant patch of over 500 daffodils, with not even a sign of Charley the dog, I breathed deeply and in spite of my aching shoulders and sore lower back I realized it had been a spectacular day of warm spring temperatures--and an opportunity to get some things done.

Two neighbor guys going a little nuts with chain saws left a bigger pile of debris than was there when we started, but the apple tree is totally trimmed. I can even mow under it. The mulberry branches that were hanging low are also gone. There is new light and space in the backyard. The over-the-back-fence neighbor cut himself some short lengths of apple wood for his patio fireplace. Hopefully O. can help me get the remains on her large trailer in the next couple of weeks!

On the way to pick the daffodils, I stopped over at O's to deliver that latest book club book. I warned her that I needed HELP. She was into her second glass of pinot grigio and was most agreeable about what we could do next week when her guests from across our northern border left. Her husband was celebrating a BIG birthday and his brothers were there helping him "get into the spirit of things." I wish I had thought to pick a bouquet of daffodils for the celebrators.

 Daffodils are such a reliably cheery sight every Spring!

1 comment: