Saturday, September 10, 2016

Tomatoes...

The last big tomato from the garden

I didn't think it would happen. Not yet. The thrill is gone!

I have been sated with fresh tomatoes for awhile.

And, the weeds and thistles which were beaten down with that big rototiller in the spring have returned with a vengeance to overtake the tomato vines. The remaining tomatoes are splitting their seams with the abundant recent rain.

And, this is after their recovery from deer nibbling all the tops off just as they were starting to blossom.

But still, there were so many tomatoes, so many thrown out, and so many fruit flies...

One jar of spaghetti sauce in the freezer, made by E, is all I have to show for the season.

Hopefully I can find some 'garden gem' tomatoes one of these years--those new tomatoes that are supposed to taste really great.

Not every tomato that I picked fresh from the patch this year was perfectly delicious--one that you could enjoy like an apple--but I made some pretty good sandwiches and salads. It was the added Mayo and bacon, however, which really pleased the palate. One particular deli-chicken salad-with chopped-green onion-sandwich, topped with lettuce, tomato and bacon, on toasted buttered bread, and of course, slathered with Mayo, rated an 8.8 out of 10 (for a sandwich) from the husband!

The husband disagrees with me. If there is any variety of tomato on the counter to slice for topping his turkey or beef sandwich--with or without Mayo--he is happy. Fortunately, there are tomatoes being grown somewhere in the world at all times for his continued sandwich-eating pleasure.

(I just read somewhere that the "nightshade" vegetables are not all that good for us ... what??--not even red peppers?? ... we should supposedly be eating more berries--even mulberries. Who eats mulberries? I eat them 3 times a year when I duck to miss the branches over my head in the backyard of our rental house, stopping the power mower briefly to pop a few in my mouth).

2 comments:

  1. Some advise staying clear of nightshades because they are not anti-inflammatory and may even be pro-inflammatory. Tom Brady, for example, doesn't touch them. For the average person, however, there are so many foods consumed in the average day that are more pro-inflammatory than nightshades that being concerned about nightshades is a bit silly. I say enjoy those eggplants, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes, thought it sounds like you need a break from the latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have avoided tomatoes in the past because of their carb content, but did not realize they were thought to be inflammatory. I have long touted red peppers as a near perfect vegetable. But you are right, and I should probably give up all wheat products, for example, before worrying about the effects of a few shitake!

      Delete