Monday, February 15, 2016

A Cold Valentine's Weekend

I spent the weekend trying to get back to toasty after venturing out bravely into the arctic blast. I know, I am getting wimpier every day.

It was cold in other places in the country, too. I read somewhere that it dipped to -1 in Central Park, near where M&S live. R&G went as far south as they could, to Miami and a boat show, where it was reported to be a high of 71 and sunny--actually perfect. E had to work on Valentine's Day, although it was cooler in Winter Park. I am looking at airline fares for heading south in the near future, but it had better be perfect weather when I come.

The cold weather temps tempt me to plunge back into full hibernation mode, but hopefully that arctic air/jet stream will move out soon. I can't believe that it is only 34 days until SPRING. I have a book to read for book club in 6 days. The plan is to settle back into the couch for a long winter's read sometime this week.

On Sunday morning when I left for choir rehearsal it was 2 degrees above zero. I was running late for the 8:25 AM call and I didn't take time to warm up the car on the 5 minute trip to church. I was the only car on the street at that hour.

We stayed home Sunday afternoon, napped, and watched some golf--a tournament played ocean-side at Pebble Beach in California. We made a decision to attend the tournament next year at this time. The Pebble Beach course is very scenic and the waves were shimmering in the sun. We stopped there to check it out on a family trip in the mid-90's.

Saturday afternoon I shopped at Target and Macy's. I was dressed for the weather. I wish I could justify buying more. The sales at Macy's were pretty wild. I picked out a $60 top that was on clearance for $30, registered at $20, and then the clerk added the President's Day sale coupon, bringing it down to $16.

On Saturday night we planned to eat (Valentine's) dinner at Houlihans. As we entered the restaurant we were warned: the heat had been off all day! What?? We agreed to stay, keeping our coats on. I could have come in my pajamas! I didn't even order a drink because it sounded too cold. The heat was beginning to work again as we were paying the bill, but my feet were nearly frozen by then. We hurried back home and I immediately dialed up to high on my electric throw, wrapping up my feet and legs.



I thought the husband would order the scallops, but he went with his more usual order--a burger and mashed potatoes. Plus chicken tortilla soup. So predictable!

I had heard that Houlihans was featuring a brand new spiralized menu, using the recipes of a popular blogger and instagrammer that I started following during my January hibernation days. I just had to try something spiralized. I choose the butternut squash and sausage lasagna which had lots of healthy vegetables in addition to the cheese and sausage. The spiralized squash seemed to be lost in the cheese on top, but it also had cubed squash and quinoa at the base, in addition to mixed dark leafy greens. It was really delicious, and no noodles! The olives in the salad really upped the flavor profile of the spiralized side, but of course, it paled in contrast to the sizzling hot and cheesy lasagna.

OH MY SQUASH!

I have a simple spiralizer, nothing like the one used for this food. I saw Ali (inspiralized.com) spiralize a whole giant peeled rutabaga on a video. My spiralizer will only accommodate something the size of a modest zucchini. The spiralizer is such a great invention. I hope to get the big one.

I am intrigued to try it for the apple in a Waldorf salad. For a lower carb option, you could spiralize a cucumber. I even saw a recipe using spiralized jicama. Kohlrabi?

It warmed my heart (in theory--because I remained shivery to the core through the whole meal) to eat this new and healthy food. As you know, I can scarf up a hamburger with the best of them, but I did not ask for a bite from across the table. Well, just one small sip of hot chicken tortilla soup broth.

Spring is coming and I need to lighten up--for Lent, for Spring, for health and so I can buy some more new clothes! It is nearly Spring and I feel the need to increase the use of the exclamation point!

2 comments:

  1. Today, Feb 17, it is colder here than in northern BC and colder than Anchorage!! But let's take heart...it will soon end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would think that two women with Dakotan and Canadian roots, respectively, would be more adapted to the cold!

      Delete