
I cannot kill a plant--even when I should just let it go.
But I did give one away once!
Last November I took home a peace lily, gifted to us on the occasion of the passing of the husband's mother. It was re-blooming and doing quite well in my sun room.
When the husband returned from China in January he gave a lecture here in town to a group of Chinese pastors and students that were attending a conference. A few days later one of those attendees, an important Christian pastor in China, was killed while walking on a major street in the area, following a big snowstorm.
A funeral was scheduled some days later, (February 6) here in town. A few hours before the funeral, a request was made that the husband pick up some flowers for the funeral of this pastor who had been at the conference. We decided to "re-gift" the blooming peace lily plant (pictured below)--certainly not something that happens often. Funeral flowers are re-gifted, but not usually to another funeral!
I found the original pot and bow (sometimes saving everything is a good thing!), the husband attached a card, and he delivered it to the church and stayed for the 2 1/2 hour service (including translation).
One of the attendees of his Hong Kong class, who spoke English well, had accompanied the bereaved wife to Michigan for the funeral. It was all very tragic.
The peace lily, originally given in honor of Grandma Rose from the husband's employer, hopefully found a new home somewhere. Rozena had a heart for China (a former missionary) and would have approved of this re-gifting, I am quite sure.
Interesting how life happens sometimes...

No comments:
Post a Comment