Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Weathering the Storms

Groundhog Day:
Yesterday West Michigan enjoyed a record rainfall and loud thunderstorms--pretty crazy weather for early February. It rained over 1 1/2 inches in 12 hours. That would have been a big snow.

And yes, the predictions are for an early spring.

I didn't remember that groundhogs are woodchucks. I once killed a woodchuck that was caught by his foot in my uncle's trap. (Think of him as a big rat about to munch on the beans in the garden, not a cute groundhog named Phil). I took out that giant sledgehammer that we borrowed to smash the piano. It was a little overkill and a lot messy when I hit that suffering rodent squarely on his brains.

I also learned today that the famous Pennsylvania groundhog is getting his own beer, a brew called Punxsutawney Philsner. I should get credit just for spelling that correctly.

The Iowa Caucuses:
In the aftermath of the Iowa caucuses we have presidential candidates storming, too, over perceived unfairness. And others are dropping out of the race as their numbers and hopes have been dashed by real votes--or lack thereof. And once again, the polls were mostly proven wrong. Right now Hillary is ahead of Bernie by just a few votes, some final tallies determined with a coin toss. How primitive is that...

Hibernation:
The temperature currently is 38 degrees. I am declaring my January hibernation officially over for now. There is nothing exciting in my life to rouse me besides the warmer weather (and that loud thunder), but I am making more of an effort to engage the outside world.

This afternoon I ventured outside to blow the sidewalks clear of sticks and debris from the storm. They are cleared for the possibility of more snow and snowblowing. The snowblower has only been used once so far this year. I don't know why more homeowners do not choose to use their leaf blowers for winter snow. I bought a new lightweight one last year and if it dies, I will immediately replace it.  I cannot do without it. It works better than a broom, is faster than a shovel and is easier on my back and the finish of the car. I have long ago stopped caring what the neighbors think of me.

Celebration:
Every day it is possible to not only be thankful for something, but to celebrate something. Unfortunately, celebration too often centers around food. I celebrated National Chocolate Cake Day by myself recently because I was feeling deprived in my winter "cave." I thawed a frozen cake:

National Chocolate Cake Day

Today is National Carrot Cake Day. I think I will not celebrate today ... there is always Paczki Day, coming up in just six days. And then Valentine's Day...

Note: I took out two exclamation points! (the smashed brains was exciting enough), left the justs (is this an objectionable use?) and am back to trailing dots...

No comments:

Post a Comment