Monday, February 1, 2016

Iowa Caucus Day!

Finally, after all the pollsters, pundits and pontificating politicians have left the state, Iowans will have had their say, making history in their unique, old-fashioned, caucus-style voting, the first to vote for who may become the next president of the United States. All-time high turnout is predicted and the coming snowstorm is not expected to keep them from caucus attendance tonight.

It has been an exciting year for those who follow politics--a year that has defied all predictions; a year of the surge of the insurgents. Trump and Sanders are predicted by many to pull it out, incredible as this may seem to much of the country.

I will be watching the coverage, although it might be late before all the results are in, even if this year the precinct captains are i-phoning the results in--a new twist to a quaint process.

I watched many of the debates and followed the buzz. It is amazing that a TV reality star/businessman and an avowed democratic socialist draw huge crowds (adopting a little Trump-speak. I think I banned amazing a few years back).

After my thoughts on pheasant hunting last week in South Dakota, it was interesting to me to find out that the Trump sons are hunters. I read the account of their Iowa hunt with the governor's son: three shots fired, three pheasants killed. It is surprising that two privileged young men growing up in Manhattan have become seasoned game hunters. And they are the real deal. A real deal photo op? Probably.

Will Trump become the real deal? Are you excited about that, lol?

No comments:

Post a Comment